I remember mine very well because it was just last year!
I was able to attend Camp Penuel last summer as a Camp Counselor in partnership with several other churches as we took over 75 kids (ages 7-11) to experience sno-cones, canoe rides, hikes, swimming, and much more! Some of our kids came from very tough home situations so to see such un-inhibited joy as they were allowed to simply be kids for the weekend brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.
Why am I telling you all of this?
Because we are preparing to take another group of kids back to Camp Penuel at the end of the month on July 25th-27th and you have a wonderful opportunity to help make this the best weekend a child may experience in 2014!
“How can I help?”, you may be asking.
1. Donate one or more of the following items: toiletries (including shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, & toothbrushes); bedding (including sheets & blankets); swim towels; snacks (granola bars, crackers, fruit snacks, apples, oranges, etc.); and bottled water. Some of our families are struggling financially so having help with these items is greatly appreciated!
2. Pray urgently while the kids & staff are away, for spiritual & physical protection (the spiritual attack last year was very real at various points throughout the weekend); for divine appointments to connect one-on-one with kids, to share the Good News of Christ, and for the Spirit to lead kids to respond to Him with open hearts; and for weekend weather that is favorable to being outside.
Be encouraged: you have an integral role in helping make this Camp experience wonderful for the kids! As always, thank you in advance for your help & feel free to contact us with any questions!
On behalf of the MTC Team,
Do you enjoy planning & talking with people?
Amber’s term of service with AmeriCorps*VISTA ends on August 15th and she is looking for someone to pass the torch onto! The foundation for the Volunteer Management program has been laid-out so the volunteer replacing Amber will only need to serve approximately 10 hours per week, helping to:
- Recruit volunteers using existing sources
- Track volunteer hours in existing database
- Send thank-you to volunteers
Training & administrative support will be provided. Contact us for more information!